Everyone loves being surrounded by lush greenery, whether they’re at work or in their home but have we ever really considered why that is?
There are so many benefits to having indoor plants, not least of which is that they beautify our space and provide an aesthetically pleasing environment within which to thrive. What we really don’t consider too much is why that is. Let’s take an in depth look at why plants are so precious and what the very real health benefits are to having them around.
1. They are natural air purifiers – this well known process called photosynthesis in which plants clean the air by taking in our carbon dioxide and emitting clean oxygen. Indoor plants can remove up to 87 percent of toxins in air and water within 24 hours of being in your home or apartment. How? The research revealed houseplants pull polluted air down to their roots, and convert it into food and energy. Hard workers, aren’t they?!
2. Following on the heels of these natural air purifiers, studies have shown that Rubber Plants are natural humidifiers (as well as purifiers-#winning). So if you have dry skin or throat problems – these babies might just be the solution you’ve been looking for.
3. Your autonomic nervous system is responsible for much of your involuntary bodily functions — including digestion, heart rate, emotional responses, metabolism, blood pressure, temperature, and more. It has three main branches: Your sympathetic system (aka, the system that regulates your fight or flight response), parasympathetic system (aka, rest and digest), and enteric system, which is only in your gastrointestinal tract. A study showed that interacting with houseplants actually suppressed the sympathetic nervous system – tending to plants calmed stress and lowered blood pressure. Extremely cool.
4. Being around house plants makes you more productive. They are said to improve memory retention, and of course, make the space more calm and relaxing. “If you are working in an environment where there’s something to get you psychologically engaged you are happier and you work better.”
5. And this reason is perhaps my favourite. They say that therapy can be expensive, whereas, your little green friends will listen for free! In all seriousness, tending to your indoor plants is focussing not on yourself but on the care and attention of something or someone other than yourself. A selfless act is very closely associated with inner peace. Inner peace lowers cortisol levels. Having chronically high cortisol levels can lead to persistent high blood sugar causing a number of health conditions.
Well I don’t need to tell you that I may have been called a ‘crazy plant lady’ to which I respond, ‘thank you’. Being surrounded by such peace and tranquility on a daily basis has most definitely been a huge benefit to me both emotionally and physically.
If you would like to make someone’s day, week, month, year – give them the gift of a beautiful house plant. They will be forever thankful. Plus, every time they look at it with a smile, they’ll be thinking of you. They will never forget how you made them feel!!